Tuesday, July 6, 2010

219th General Assembly - Day 5

Well, this is my first GA experience. Being born into a Presbyterian family, it’s something I’ve heard about since I was a wee littler one, but I can’t say that I’ve really had the desire to have anything to do with GA until now. And I can honestly say that I’m glad I came. This is quite the experience. I’m a volunteer for the week and have been seeing lots of different aspects of the assembly of Presbyterians.

I’m working with the Synod of Lakes and Prairies staff, the Twin Cities Area Presbytery staff and the local church members – all who have volunteered their time and talents. Some are here for one 4-hour shift and others are here all day, every day, for the duration of the week-long meeting.

I’m totally amazed at how many volunteers it is taking to put this event on. There are volunteer registration folks, convention center greeters, various booth exhibitors with information and items for sale, tour guides, and many others to numerous to mention.

However, one of the most important volunteer jobs would be the prayer chapel volunteers. There are many folks who have volunteered to spend time in the prayer chapel to pray with anyone who comes in and to pray for those here at the assembly. There are prayer partners assigned to pray for every commissioner that is here. That is one of the most unnoticed, unheralded, but most important jobs here.

Thanks to all of those folks who volunteer!

Everyone should experience the General Assembly at least once. It’s a great experience! The people I am meeting are wonderful and you at home, can do your part with your prayers.

Betty Dyer, office manager
Presbytery of Des Moines

No comments: