Wednesday, October 21, 2009
On Tuesday, Oct. 27, church session members are invited to attend the Mission Dollar Challenge Consultation 2010, from 1-4 p.m. at St. Paul Presbyterian Church, 6426 Merle Hay Rd., Johnston. This workshop is sponsored by the Stewardship and Mission Interpretation and the Budget and Finance committees of the Des Moines Presbytery.
For many congregations, financial support has been limited by a current income situation affected by the economy, increased pension dues, higher operating costs and rapidly aging buildings in need of repairs. Our committees believe that the condition has not prevented a great deal of mission from being done locally that the presbytery as a whole has not been made aware. We are asking you to come to the consultation prepared to share the outreach mission of your congregation with session members of other churches in the presbytery. We also want to provide an opportunity for us to be challenged in our giving locally and globally.
Churches are asked to send 1-2 session members and have them bring the 2008/2009 church annual budgets. Participants will return prepared to help sessions set goals for funding 2010 mission work of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). To RSVP, contact the Presbytery Office, 515-276-4991.
Monday, October 12, 2009
Afternoon workshops include: Wonder of Mission – Columbia Accompaniment with Paul Walther at the Audubon church. Or Wonder of Mission – El Salvador with Betty Dyer, at Highland Park church.
Other workshops offered at both locations are: Wonder of Discipleship with Moderator Linda O’Connell, Historian Pat Summers, and Treasurer Angie Williams or Wonder of Presbyterian Women – A Report on the Churchwide Gathering by PW Correspondent Emily Seeger.
The worship offering will go towards CROSS Ministries and a local mission at each location. Local mission shower gift needs include: Audubon – the Women’s Crisis Center (personal hygiene items) and Highland Park – the Heart and Hand Mission (items for infants and medical supplies).
Lunch at both locations is $5 and reservations are due October 12. To make your reservations:
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Sponsored by the Presbytery of Des Moines' Professional Care and Development Committee with support from Des Moines Pastoral Counseling Center, each day’s workshop will provide a primer on understanding the congregation as an emotional system within the basic concepts of Bowen Theory (family systems theory).
- Creating a Healthy Congregation is Sunday, Oct. 18, 2:00 – 6:00 p.m., for congregational leaders and pastors. Cost: $20 individuals, $35 church group.
- Congregational Leadership in Anxious Times is Monday, Oct. 19, 9:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., for pastors only. Cost: $50 (includes lunch).
Both sessions will be held at Plymouth Congregational United Church of Christ, 4126 Ingersoll Ave., Des Moines. For more information or to register, contact the Des Moines Presbytery at 515-276-4991 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
There are still open dates/times for a visit with your church members. To schedule, contact the Rev. Nathan Lamb of Community United Presbyterian Church in Hartford at 515-989-3426 or email@example.com.
Bernie’s schedule so far includes:
- Sunday, Oct. 4, 9 & 11 a.m., Worship services at Ankeny Presbyterian Church
- Sunday, Oct. 4, 5 p.m., World Communion service by the South Central Regional Partnership hosted at the Trinity United Presbyterian Church, Indianola. A potluck dinner will follow. The Des Moines Presbytery churches are invited to attend.
- Monday, Oct. 5, 3 p.m., Des Moines Area Religious Council is inviting members of the Christian, Muslem, and Jewish communities to meet with Bernie for discussion. (DMARC Office, 3816 36th St., Ste. 202, Des Moines, IA 50310.)
- Tuesday, Oct. 6, 10 a.m.–1:30 p.m., Lectionary Study Group, at Presbytery Office, Urbandale.
- Wednesday, Oct. 7, 12:30-2p.m., Retired Pastor's Luncheon, at Calvin Community, Des Moines.
- Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2-7 p.m., discussion/worship, at Community United Presbyterian Church, Hartford.
- Thursday, Oct. 8, Men’s morning Bible Study, at United Presbyterian Church, Allerton.
- Friday, Oct. 9, Travel to Iowa City to begin next Mission Challenge visit with East Iowa Presbytery, Oct. 9-16.