Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day 8 - El Salvador to Iowa

We actually made it out of bed at 4:45 a.m. and we were ready to go when Alfredo came to pick us up one last time in the dark blue microbus with Becky's Tours on the side. Alfredo is a small handsome man of small stature (pictured here with Kathy Mahler). If he was lucky, he came up to Larry's armpit... (and Larry Lepper is 6'5") But sweet? Oh my, what a nice man. He takes good care of all of Kathy Mahler's delegations and also of Kathy. And that's good to know.

The day was not too eventful... other than traveling back home to Iowa – only (lots of) miles. We went through every checkpoint – I couldn't seem to get my act together at the first security stop and had to be reminded to take my shoes off and then set off the alarm when I forgot my phone was in my pocket. The next time I did a better job. Mary (MacKenzie) got stopped at Customs to check her bag. That was after they confiscated her hot sauce that she was taking home. I guess she might have gotten it through in her checked bag, but after Blair's (Lawson) experience with the flavoring on the way down, could you imagine all of Mary's clothes smelling like hot sauce when one of those bottles broke?

Larry (Lepper) and Blair also got pulled aside to have their shoes checked after they declared that they'd been on a farm, or spending time with cattle. Larry actually got his shoes washed, but Blair didn't. I guess they didn't figure Blair had been doing as much serious cattle rustling as Larry, since Larry had on his cowboy hat and Blair didn't (don't think he has one).

It was a rude awaking to come home to 30 mph NW winds after the warm temps we'd experienced. I guess it's back to reality... huh?

But, before I close, I just want to say a few thank yous. Thanks to my Trinity United Presbyterian Church friends for planning a trip of which I could be a part. I was the last to join and they very bravely took me under their wings and showed me all I needed to know to not look too unintelligent this past week. Being the only rookie didn't prove to be too challenging with all of their help.
There was Larry Lepper, our financial guru who kept close track of all our money. He spoke much Spanish and was not afraid to jump right in and try to speak to anyone. He wanted very badly to just blend in with the natives, but at 6'5' which white hair, he wasn't too successful. He was a huge asset to the trip and this was his second. Thanks, Larry.

There was Dave Endriss, our fearless pastor. He kept a quiet profile all week and only stepped into his pastoral role when asked. Otherwise, he made us all feel his equal – just 6 Trinity folks wanting to learn all we could. Thanks for your quiet leadership and friendship to all and lots of balloon fun! Thanks, Dave.
There was Blair Lawson, long time friend and our quiet, insightful one. He always had the interesting questions. I've lost track of the number of times he's been to El Salvador. He knows much about what goes on there. He will soon be president of the Indianola Rotary Club, so was taking lots of notes for them regarding the water filter project. Thanks, Blair.

There was Denise Core, a long time friend... the organized one. This was her third trip(?), so she knew a bit about what to expect and kept me informed when need be so that I'd look halfway intelligent. Always had anything we'd forgotten to pack. Thanks, Denise.

And then there was Mary MacKenzie, also a long time friend... her second trip. She's the strong and steady one – never afraid to try anything new. She was right there every time we went anywhere in the back of the truck with the guys hanging on for dear life. But, she was there. Thanks, Mary.

And Kathy Mahler... what can you say about Kathy? What a rock of a mission co-worker! She's there. She's wherever she needs to be. She does whatever she needs to do. And she's doing it well. And I enjoyed so much being able to see her there in her own world. I'd heard all about it, but now, I've been able to experience it. Thanks, Kathy.

And to CompaƱeros... my deepest thanks for making this trip happen for me. I come home with new insight into the El Salvador mission. I've been there and I've seen it. Not only have I seen my Casa de Zinc brothers and sisters with my own Trinity brothers and sisters, but I've seen El Tablon and El Recreo. I was close to Virginia, San Francisco, Las Delicias, Corazol, Munosis, San Felipe (I either saw the names on signs or Kathy would say, we're now in.) I couldn't make it to all of them, but I've seen what you're doing there. I've been there. I thank you with all of my heart for allowing me this experience.

And thanks to Nancy Lister-Settle and Kim Coulter for planting the seed... two months' ago, this trip wasn't even on my radar screen.

–Betty









(Pictured left to right) Milagro, Mary MacKenzie, Betty Dyer, Denise Core, Blanca, Kathy Mahler, Idalia, Larry Lepper, Otilia, Dave Endriss, Cecelia, Blair Lawson.

No comments: