Saturday, June 21, 2008

GENERAL ASSEMBLY - Day 1

Power up!

The business meeting of the 218th General Assembly came to order this morning and Des Moines Presbytery's commissioners were all together in Row F, Seats 7 through 11: Chad Schwickerath (Youth Advisory Delegate from Ankeny), Paul Walther (Audubon), Rev. Jan Scott (West Des Moines Covenant), Nancy Lister-Settle (Dallas Center) and Rev. Dave Endriss (Indianola Trinity).

I have never seen so many laptop computers in one place! We plugged in and powered up--and in spite of a few technical difficulties, I really did feel connected to something big.

I was grateful for the slower pace of the opening sessions. The morning's business was finished early, and in the afternoon we learned how to operate our voting keypads. I was looking forward to the evening session when we would hear from the candidates for Moderator and then elect one of the four to serve for the next two years.

As I listened to each of them describe themselves, their unique journeys, and the call they understood and embraced, I could feel where the real power was in the room. There was energy and substance and conviction and faith on the dais before us and it was exciting to witness. After two votes we celebrated the election of Rev. Bruce Reyes-Chow of San Francisco Presbytery as Moderator of the 218th General Assembly.

Committee work begins tomorrow,and I've been a little anxious about that. But after tonight I'm feeling empowered!

Nancy Lister-Settle

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dave, Nancy, Paul (and to those of you I don't know personally) --

You GO!

Very good to hear from you and see you "in action."

Bravo,
Mary Mac

bettydyer said...

Hi folks! Great to hear from you. It makes it so interesting to hear about all that's going on when it's someone you know! And having the pictures makes it all the better. Thanks for all you're doing and I'll keep you in my prayers as you tackle the issues. Take care....Betty